F15-17 Speciation

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to F15-17 Speciation

1. hallen30 says:

This was a very well put together video. It covered the content, and managed to do so in an entertaining well. The only issue was that the video went a little faster than the the audio at a few times.

2. jsodwatana3 says:

The video is very informative, especially the graphics on how polyploidy occurs and also summary at the end of the video. I found the hand a little distracting at times.

3. ahampton30 says:

I liked the use of the Powtoon and examples, but I think that you could have talked slower. It was hard to follow at points and also explain some of the vocabulary associated with the video.

4. csane3 says:

I like how you showed the roots of the words sympatric and allopatric. Very good animations! The only thing I might change is maybe explain polyploidy and diploidy for viewers who may not know those terms.

5. mwalden6 says:

This was a really cool video! I’ve never seen an animation like this. Everything was very well defined too. I think I would just redo the works cited part to be the format that was suggested to us on the project outline.

6. jheinrich7 says:

Your video was very well produced, and held the viewers attention throughout. There is one major flaw in your information, however, and that is the fact that just because you have strawberries produced with a greater number of chromosomes does not mean that they are a new species. Your sympatric speciation example is mistaking a mutation for evolution of a new species!

7. lps6 says:

Great Job! The visuals were creative and the tone of the voice-over kept the video interesting and engaging. The video seemed to lack some flow between points presented (first squirrels, now fruit) and as a result, the information presented seemed a little disorganized or somewhat abruptly placed in the video. Overall, awesome job!

8. skarmarkar6 says:

The concepts of speciation were very well detailed in this video, which was very clear and easy to follow. However, having everyone talk a little bit instead of just one person the entire time may be a better ideas since the audience may lose focus if they hear the same voice. Overall, good job!

9. khutchins7 says:

I like how you gave really good and specific examples for the allopatric versus sympatric speciation. It really helped me figure out the difference between the two. However, the sympatric speciation example was a little fuzzy to me. Maybe if you gave the definition of polyploidy in the example, it would’ve made more sense because we really didn’t go over it in class that much. But, overall it was a really helpful video.

10. ckoett3 says:

Everything was well presented with great examples. Only place for improvement might be including a better explanation as to why something happens in the first place. In the grand canyon example, maybe explain how the squirrels obtain separate niches (as you did) because of the environments inhabited are now different. The example used was clear, just maybe use a better one. Overall, well done.

11. swhite85 says:

I liked how you used the squirrels and the strawberries to represent the different scenarios. The voice over was done really well. I thought that there was good inflection, but when the video switched to talking about strawberries, the voice-over was quieter.

12. nleon6 says:

The examples were very good. The content was explained well using those examples.

I would suggest including a frame defining speciation like the frame for defining allopatric and sympatric.

13. yan49 says:

This video was very clear and easy to follow. The examples were used well in a way that made the content easily understandable. I would suggest going a little more in depth as of why these things happen, or being more specific in the definitions of allopatric and sympatric speciation.

14. mmassengill3 says:

I really liked the strawberry example because I always just applied these two concepts to animals and didn’t realize it could happen to plants too. I would have gone into a deeper explanation of sympatric vs. allopatric, but other than that the video was effective in communicating the general idea of these concepts!

15. esisson3 says:

The content was easy to follow and the topic was well explained with fun examples. The part about the strawberries being polyploidy was a bit unnecessary and was slightly off topic.

16. kbernart3 says:

I thought the voiceover’s conversational tone was a good idea. The way information was presented was funny (or about as funny as a bio video can get) and the visuals were neat. The linguistic breakdown was good for helping people to remember definitions. However, the definitions could have been a little more comprehensive and clear.

17. ksomu3 says:

Overall this video provided some great content. The voice was clear and was easy to follow. The animations and graphics were interesting and unique, which was very appealing to the learning process. The only issue I had with this video was that the polyploidy example was a bit off topic and made sympatric speciation a bit more confusing than helpful.

18. cnguyen76 says:

The introduction to the content was very interesting and the description of the two terms was very informative. However, the bit about the strawberries’ ploidy was distracting and confused me a bit as it seemed unneccessary.

19. bavrett3 says:

Great video!
    The animation is very impressive and clean, which makes the video that much more entertaining to watch. The biggest criticism I have is with the examples, e.g. going off into a somewhat tangent (e.g. the strawberries polyploidy) and being not specific enough to the subject at hand, but overall a great video!

20. jlary3 says:

The video was very intriguing and maintained my attention and a lot of content on speciation. I would consider revising the strawberry section for clarity.

21. cbaskowitz3 says:

Great job! The video was very clear and straightforward. The visuals were great examples that helped aid your explanations. This was a great help in reviewing these topics.

22. kshah302 says:

The video was nicely displayed and the animations used were engaging. The example of strawberry was interesting and immediately grabbed the viewer’s attention. The information in the video clear and succinct, but could go into a little more details. I also felt that the audio was too fast and made it tougher for the viewer to easily comprehend the matter. Overall, the video kept the viewer’s attention and nicely explained the topic.

23. kahmadi3 says:

I thought the video was informative but sometimes it was hard to keep along with the text and the audio. However the flow of the video helped to make this concept easier and it was well thought. One other thing that I like was the strawberry example for it helped me understand the concept better.

24. jsolomon41 says:

The video was really interesting and informative. The only issues I had with it were the volume and pacing.

25. ydeng68 says:

I really liked the use of PowToon and the images and various examples you used to convey the ideas. However, I think that you can talk slower because some of the parts were hard to follow due to the pacing.

26. poh8 says:

Love the video! The animation is really cute.
    Also, it contains organized information.
    It was very helpful to review the concept of speciation.

27. pnatarajan34 says:

Excellent job! The video was very clear, straightforward, and easy to follow. The visuals were great examples that helped visualize your explanations. This was a great help in reviewing these topics.

28. Irondi Ogechi says:

Great job overall! My only complaint is how fast the narrator spoke…